Daniel R. Munsey, Fire Chief/Fire Warden
  1. Home
  2. Office of Fire Marshal
  3. Hazmat – CUPA
  4. California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)

About CERS

The California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) is a statewide, web-based system designed to support businesses and Unified Program Agencies (UPAs) with electronically reporting, collecting, and managing hazardous materials-related data as mandated by the California Health and Safety Code, Section 25404 (e)(2-5).  

CERS must be used to electronically submit the Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP), Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act (APSA) Tank Facility Statement, and the Underground Storage Tank (UST) Monitoring Plan. Documents that are uploaded into CERS must be uploaded as a PDF.


San Bernardino County’s CERS Help Desk is available to assist businesses in CERS technical questions.

For questions specific to regulatory requirements, such as what needs to be added to the Hazardous Materials Inventory, contact the Main Office and ask to speak to a Hazardous Materials Specialist.

Getting Started

Follow these steps to begin submitting your CUPA information electronically through CERS.

The following is required to properly access and submit on CERS


A valid email address is required to create and activate a CERS account. If you don’t have an email address, there are a number of free email account services available. For more information, contact the CERS Help Desk.

Internet Access

CERS is web-based so internet access is necessary to access the website.

Web Browser

If the web browser is outdated, certain functions in CERS, such as the option to upload inventory from a spreadsheet, may not function correctly.

Create a CERS Account

  1. Visit the CERS Business Portal and select “Create New Account.” Each person must have his/her own account.
  2. Enter all required information and select “Create My Account.”
  3. An email will be sent to the account entered in the previous step. Verification of email will be required prior to accessing the CERS account.

Contact Us

After creating the CERS account, contact the CERS Help Desk to obtain access to the CERS facility account.

Access Requests

If a CERS ID has been established for the address, then the CERS Help Desk will require you to submit an Access Request Form. The form must be completed and submitted to the CERS Help Desk.

Transfer Request

To request a transfer from an existing CERS ID into your new business at that location, please submit a Transfer Request. The form must be completed and submitted to the CERS Help Desk.

CERS Elements: What to Submit

CERS submissions are separated into Elements. The Facility Element is submitted with every submission, but all other Elements may be submitted separately or in combination with other Elements.

Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP)

In San Bernardino County, all businesses subject to a CUPA program are required to certify the Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) in CERS by March 1st of every year. The follow (3) elements are a part of the HMBP:

This element is a part of the Hazardous Materials Business Plan and must be submitted with every CERS submittal, even if it is a partial CERS submittal.

Business Activities

  • The questions are used to determine the Elements that are required. 

Business Owner/Operator Identification

  • Enter all Contact information in this section.
  • Owner Information:  If the owner is an entity (e.g. corporation, LLC, etc), then enter the information for the entity.
  • Billing Contact:  All contact regarding billing, including the invoice, will be sent to the billing contact.
  • Environmental Contact: This is the point of contact for regulatory compliance. Inspection Reports will be addressed to this contact, as well as UST Plan Check Permits. It is suggested that the contact be an employee of the owner instead of a contractor or consultant.

This section is also a part of the Hazardous Materials Business Plan.  The Inventory also meets the requirements of the Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act Tank Statement, the Hazardous Materials Management Plan (Fire Code) and the Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (Fire Code).

Hazardous Materials Inventory

  • Add all hazardous materials stored in regulated amounts (typically 55 gallons, 500 pounds, 200 cubic feet).
  • If Trade Secret is selected for any chemical, then a Trade Secret Disclosure Form must also be uploaded.

Site Map 

  • See the Site Map Instructions
  • The Site Map must be uploaded on CERS. This jurisdiction does NOT allow the option of “Stored at Facility.”
  • The Site Map must be site-specific.

Emergency Response/Contingency Plan

Employee Training Plan

  • Upload the training plan. 
  • If the Consolidated Emergency Response / Contingency Plan template is used to satisfy Employee Training requirements, then select “Provided Elsewhere in CERS.”

Other Elements

The following elements only need to be submitted if the facility is subject to the particular requirement:

Submit this element if the facility is subject to Underground Storage Tank (UST) laws and regulations. UST Owner/Operators are responsible for submitting the following information in CERS.  This must be updated annually and within 30 days of a change in information.  Visit the State Water Resource Control Board UST Forms Web Page for all required forms.

Please refrain from submitting UST Test Results in CERS.  Submit all UST Test Results to usttestresults@sbcfire.org

UST Facility Operating Permit Application

  • Complete all CERS fields.

UST Tank Information/Monitoring Plan (one for each tank)

  • Complete one section for each tank.
  • If there is a compartmentalized tank, then there should be one tank section for each compartment.

UST Certificate of Installation/Modification

  • Complete this section every time there is an installation or replacement of a tank, piping, sump, and/or under dispenser containment (UDC).
  • Under “Work Authorized Under Permit,” enter the Service Request Number (SR#) found on the Plan Approval letter provided by this Division.

UST Monitoring Site Plan

  • Upload a site-specific map.
  • Ensure any symbols used on the map are identified.
  • The site map should include the following:
    • The location of the UST(s).
    • The approximate location of all piping that is part of the UST system.
    • The location of the leak detection equipment (e.g. sensors).
    • The location of dispensers (if applicable).
    • The location of the monitoring panel.
    • The location of respective buildings or landmarks where monitoring equipment is located.
    • The location of in-tank liquid level probes (if single-walled UST).
    • The location of devices monitoring piping.

UST Certification of Financial Responsibility

UST Response Plan

UST Owner/Operator: Written Agreement

  • If the permit holder is the operator, then select “Exempt.”
  • If the permit holder is not the tank operator, then upload a signed UST Owner/Operator Written Agreement.

UST Letter from Chief Financial Officer (CFO)

  • For sites using State Fund and CFO letter as the method of financial responsibility, upload a Letter from the CFO.

Owner Statement of Designated UST Operator Compliance

Submit this element if the facility treats hazardous waste onsite Hazardous Waste Treatment (Tiered Permitting).

Tiered Permitting: Facility

  • All fields in this section must be complete and accurate.

Submit this element if the facility is subject to Recyclable Materials Report (RMR) requirements.

Recyclable Materials Report Documentation

Submit this element if the facility is a Remote Waste Consolidation Site.

Consolidation Sites

  • All fields in this section must be complete and accurate.

Any aboveground tank system or a underground storage tank that previously held a hazardous material or hazardous waste that is being closed by removal or closure in place must submit a Hazardous Waste Tank Closure Notification prior to closure and a Hazardous Waste Tank Closure Certification after the closure.

Closure Certificates

  • Aboveground Tank System (ATS)
    • The Hazardous Waste Tank Closure Notification Form must be submitted to this Division prior to initiating cleaning, cutting, dismantling, or excavation of an aboveground tank system (ATS) that previously held hazardous materials or hazardous waste.  The form can be uploaded and submitted in CERS in this Element of CERS or it can be mailed to the Hazardous Materials Section.
    •  The Hazardous Waste Tank Closure Certification Form must be uploaded in CERS under this Element.

Submit this Element if the facility is subject to the Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act (APSA).

APSA Facility Information

  • All fields in this section must be complete and accurate.
  • In determining “Number of Tanks in Underground Area(s),” unlike the UST program, a compartmentalized tank would count as one tank (regardless of the number of compartments).

Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act Documentation

  • If a complete Hazardous Materials Inventory is submitted, then select “Provided Elsewhere in CERS” for this section and refer to the Hazardous Materials Inventory Element.
  • As an alternative, an APSA Tank Facility Statement can be uploaded in this section.

Refer to CalEPA’s CERS Guidance Document “Preparing an APSA Submittal in CERS (ca.gov)” for more information.


California Environmental Reporting System (CERS)

The Business Owner/Operator Identification section needs to be updated in order to properly report a change in ownership.  Create a CERS account and submit an Transfer Request.

Any change in CERS (e.g. change in ownership, additional of inventory, etc) must be updated within 30 days.

Follow the instructions on the  State Water Board January 2020 Update for guidance on reporting conversion from Diesel to B20 in your UST.

Refer to the CalEPA CERS Guidance Document “Requesting Access to an Existing CERS Business/Facility (ca.gov).”

Refer to the CalEPA CERS Guidance Document “Adding Your First New Facility.”

Contact Us

CERS Help Desk Contact

Available Monday to Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

620 South “E” Street
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0179