A Special Event requiring Fire Department personnel to be in attendance is generally defined as:
- An outside public gathering, for purposes of entertainment that in all likelihood will result in large numbers of people being present.
- Any event involving actions or materials that must be monitored to provide for the highest level of safety for all individuals at the site; whether work force, performers, or the observing public.
- Any commercial filming or photography that uses pyrotechnics, aerial operations or involves stunts.
All Special Events are worked in conjunction with local law enforcement, California Highway Patrol, the Inland Empire Film Commission, and/or any other required entity, such as County Land Use Services (Code Enforcement, Building and Safety), County Transportation, and County Public Health.
Special Events that occur regularly within County Fires jurisdictions are as follows:
- Motor Racing events at California Speedway (9300 Cherry avenue –Fontana)
- Concerts at Glen Helen Amphitheater (2575 Glen Helen Parkway, Devore)
- On location filming for movies, television, music videos and commercials
- Aerial fireworks displays
- Carnivals and Fairs
Special Event Permit
This document outlines the requirements of the Special Event permit application process as well as special instructions that must be met for all Special Event shows and exhibits. These event requirements include, but are not limited to: home shows, auto shows, rock and mineral displays, musical shows (i.e. rock music concerts, raves, etc.), circuses, racing events, carnivals, street fairs, fire work displays, commercial filming or photography (exception: news media), rodeos, wrestling, religious gatherings, and any other special event of public assemblage that may have an attendance of 500 people or more at one time. Events with standard seating plans or floor plan arrangements that have been pre-approved or have a written agreement/contract with the San Bernardino County Fire Department with one or more of the following will require a Special Event Permit.
- Use of candles or small open flames (applies to single event only)
- Use of pyrotechnics
- Tent or air-supported temporary membrane structure over 200 square feet
- Temporary canopy over 400 square feet
- Liquid or gas-fueled vehicles or equipment in assembly buildings
- Special Amusement (includes Haunted Houses)
- Commercial filming or photography
- Any event that is not the primary use of the facility
Throughout the remainder of the document the occurrence being permitted will be called "The Event".
Special Event Application:
Applications must be submitted to SBCFD at least 30 days prior to the event for review and approval. Exception: all commercial filming and photography must be submitted to the Inland Empire Film Commission by calling 909-888-9011.
The application packet submitted to SBCFD must include payment plus the following:
- Application Form/Cover Sheet
- Event Site Plan
- Event Description (provide description and plans where necessary)
- Certificate of Insurance and landowners permission in writing